The South African Hockey Association will still try and host the Indoor Africa Cup at the end of September following the easing of lockdown regulations over the weekend.

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa on Saturday announced that all gatherings will be limited to 50 people, while spectators will not be allowed at sporting events.

With indoor hockey squads consisting of 12 players, it would be possible to stay within the 50-mark limit, the website mycomlink.co.za reported on Sunday.

“Following the President’s announcement last night that professional sport is allowed to continue without spectators, the South African Hockey Association is sticking to their plan of trying to host the African Indoor tournament scheduled for the last week of September at Ashton College,” it said.

It, however, questioned whether government protocols would allow for Namibia and Zimbabwe’s national teams to arrive in South Africa and quarantine in time to be able to participate, saying that only time will tell.

“Hockey South Africa will make an official announcement early in September to whether this event will be allowed to continue,” it said.

The Indoor Africa Cup, which is a qualifier for next year’s Indoor World Cup, was originally supposed to take place in Durban in June, but was recently postponed to 25-27 September at Ballito, about 50km north of Durban.

The winning men and women’s teams at the Indoor Africa Cup will qualify for the 2021 Indoor World Cup, which is scheduled to take place in Liege, Belgium from 3 to 7 February 2021.